Thursday, August 2, 2007

Flash Flood!


It doesn't rain very often here in the Fort. So 3-5 inches in 2 hours seems like quite a lot! I'll start at the beginning ... I stayed at work until 7:00 tonight and was going to ride my bike home. It was sprinkling a little when it was time to go, but I talked to Chris and he said it was pouring at home - just 3.5 miles away. When I went outside, I saw basically a wall of rain and lightening about 2 miles from my department.
Luckily, my husband loves me and came to pick me up. We enjoyed dinner with our whole house shaking every time it thundered as the storm moved right over us. It is just kind of rare for us to get severe storms on the west side of Fort Collins, so we were kind of excited. We decided to drive around and look at the effects of what the NWS called a 100 year flood.
Mainly we saw the Spring Creek, it went way beyond its banks in several spots. There is a trail that follows the creek and I have no idea how deep below the water that trail was but there was no sign of it. There were a few places where the water was about mid-calf level in the roads. Chris got out and helped a girl push her broken-down car out of one flooded area.
Oh, in the picture notice my 2nd favorite bagel place in the background. I was planning on going there tomorrow morning, should be interesting!
It is still raining at our house but very lightly. Our yard is very soggy and there is a pond in the green space behind our house, but we are safe from any flooding. Apparently our house is on a 1000 year flood plain, phew! I probably would not find all of this so interesting if it rained more often here, or if I were not a weather geek.
Anywho, time for bed. Goodnight!

No comments: