Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goodbye two thousand and eleven

It's a new year! 2011 was very different from previous years, like 2009 and 2010. Obviously the highlight of the year was Emmaline's birth. But what were some other highlights of 2011? ...

January: I went snowshoeing a couple of times. I love snowshoeing - the quiet of the mountains, the crunch of the snow underfoot, the gradual warming up as you exert yourself (even if it's cold outside), the delight of a warm thermos of tea, and knowing that you are in a wilderness that in many ways seems more true to itself than the hot and fair days of summer, and yet is also a little sleepy.

February: We started on our kitchen remodel. It took a lot of work, mostly on Chris' part. But now almost a year later, we are so happy with the finished product!
kitchen before

kitchen after (a little messy, but better!)

March: I celebrated my 31st birthday while at a meeting in Boulder. I stayed with my friends Michelle and Leigh, and I had the best burger ever (4 words: blue cheese, onion rings). I ran a 5K with my other preggo friend, Mollie, in 32:30, and then gave up running for the rest of the pregnancy!

April: Chris and I went on our "babymoon" to Colorado National Monument. I hiked, he trail ran, we rode our bikes 1 mile in a torrential downpour, we sat in the tent a lot, and ate a lot of chinese food. Also, Chris ran in his first half marathon. I got vengeance for all the post-race pictures he's taken of me, and he figured out just how not in the mood you are for photos after running 13 miles as fast as you can.

May: We started to get more excited about the baby after taking a birthing class!

June: One of my favorite outings was to Rocky Mountain National Park with our friend Nick. We drove up to an overlook at 10,000 ft. on Trail Ridge Rd and set up some easels. Many people were curious about our artwork, but were very confused when they looked over our shoulders and saw us painting tropical scenery in a paint-by-numbers. It was pretty funny, and a beautiful day in the mountains :)

July: Our lives were changed forever on July 5!

August: I will always remember our first family vacation to Steamboat Springs. It felt like paradise - a perfect mesh of our old (bikes) and new (Emmaline!) loves.

September: Chris did a solo backpacking trip in the southern Rawah Mountains.

October: My mom came to visit and we did a "zombie crawl" - dressed like the living dead, we went from bar to bar in Old Town and tried to revive ourselves with some spirits. It was a pretty silly night, and the only time you could just start moaning while walking down College, and hoards of people would join in. We also each had a chance to enjoy the fall colors - I went to Breckenridge with Mollie and Cindy of a weekend, and Chris went up to Rocky Mountain for a day.

November: We celebrated our first Thanksgiving with the newly expanding Harper/Biagi family. My brother, his wife, and their 14 month old daughter were in town for a week, and we had a great time. There was lots to be thankful for!
December: I returned to the running scene and ran a 5K in San Francisco in 27:00. It feels good to be active again! And, finally, after 6-1/2 years of work, I finished my PhD! I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I'm done - it feels strange. My mom and stepdad came out to help us celebrate, and since then Chris and I have been pretty lazy! Just enjoying each other's company and time with Emmaline.

I hope your year was full of fun and blessings, too! And may 2012 be even better!

No comments: