Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The best ride ...

Some of you haven't heard yet about my crazy crash at collegiate cycling nationals. Tomorrow, it will be 3 weeks since my attempt to defy gravity. So here's what happened ...

I arrived with my teammates from CSU in Lawrence, Kansas early early Wednesday morning, May 11. After a few hours of beauty rest, we set out for the team time trial (TTT) course. Last year, we came in 8th, but we've been working very hard all spring on this event. We did an easy practice loop and then went all out to get our splits and see what kind of time to expect.
We were flying! Zooming down a slight downhill toward the finish, we were on pace to finish 2-3 minutes faster than last year's winning time! Until ... I was in the back of the 4-woman group and wasn't watching the road. Going about 30-35 mph, I hit a 2x4 in the road and went catapulting out of the aero bars and off my bike. I hit a mile marker sign with my knee and spun into the ditch on the side of the road, landing so hard my shoe flew off and my helmet cracked. Ouch. It was really scary.

I feel very blessed that nothing was seriously damaged. My coach, Andy, cleaned out my wounds and actually cut some dead skin off my knee, and I had some female-bonding with my teammate, Lila, who hung out in the bathroom while I showered to make sure I didn't pass out. Later, I went to the ER with Andy and learned that I didn't have a concussion, broken
bones, or torn ACL. Whew!!

I still raced in the TTT. I bet we could have gone faster if I wasn't gimpy and fighting off images of the crash during our race, but we came in a respectable 6th place. My teammates were super supportive and I was happy and proud to be racing with them.

Since then, I've been taking it easy. The last few weeks, I've been yearning to go on long rides but I've wanted to be sure that my knee is okay. I want to be riding and hiking when I'm 80, after all. It's healing well but still doesn't look quite right - there's a lump on the right side of it. Finally, I put it to the test last weekend on a trip to Steamboat Springs with Chris and some of our friends (Jeramy, Christine, and Dave).

On Saturday, Chris and I rode 45 miles and I felt really good. Maybe a little out of shape from my weeks off, but I couldn't stop grinning on our ride. Riding with Chris is fun, we always have a great time. I decided to really test myself and go for a 65 mile ride on Sunday - my longest solo ride yet! I set out not sure what to expect but excited by the clear skies, still flags (no headwind!), and wonderful 70 degree weather.

This was one of the most beautiful rides I've ever been on. I have to give credit to the Ski Haus, their website suggested the ride (http://www.skihaussteamboat.com/Biking%20in%20Steamboat.html - see Where to Ride - Road - Twentymile Road). I had a smile pasted to my face for most of it, even when I felt tired. The beauty was one thing, but the sheer relief that I can still ride my bike was enormous.

I have a confession - I love Chris very much, but I have another love, an intense passion for riding my bike. It is so freeing, exhilarating, and beautiful. Nothing beats riding down a quiet county road, while taking in the majestic scenery all around you. I love the physical aspect of it, too, the adrenaline is intense! And when that competitive side of me kicks in - watch out because I'd rather make myself sick from exertion than just watch you ride away from me.

Um, anyway, I was so happy to be riding my bike again. One of the most beautiful scenes was pedaling through some meadows with mountains on all sides of me. Not huge, snow-capped peaks, but big, strong, rolling hills and foothills. The meadows boasted the most vibrant green I have ever seen. And above was a cirrus cloud that was catching the sun just right, so that the whole cloud was transformed into a rainbow. Incredible!

How can I not love riding in Colorado? ... You should come join me some day!
:)

1 comment:

mtb05girl said...

hey anna! came across your blog. keep up the great riding!
-amanda