Thursday, December 6, 2007

Freedom!!

Phew, I have survived what is probably the most difficult class I have ever taken! I turned in my final project yesterday - an idealized, very simple non-divergent vorticity model. Now that I have used a few big words to make myself feel smart, I'll move on.
I am kind of too tired to appreciate the class being over. I was working at the department until 2:30 AM Monday night and stayed all night on Tuesday, so I am still catching up from the lack of sleep. I also still have some work to do the next few days so I cannot completely relax yet. I have to make a poster for the conference I am going to next week, and my model is still running! In fact, I don't expect it to finish the first year of simulation until about 4 AM Sunday, and my flight leaves 3:30 that afternoon! So I am not sure what will happen there. I can make a poster with less than a year of results, but I have not decided what to do. My adviser came by my office today to tell me it would be okay if I end up withdrawing from the conference - that everyone does it and I shouldn't be ashamed if I have to do it, especially considering it is not completely my fault (there have been 3 power outages the past 3 weeks, one of them shutting down the computers for about 5 days). It was nice to hear him say that, but I am pretty sure I can have something ready by Wed (when my presentation is).
Anyways, I am very very excited about the conference. It is in San Francisco and there are lots of interesting talks to hear and posters to see, and good food to be eaten. The hotel we stay in is top-notch, so I'm even looking forward to sleeping in that huge, comfy bed! :)
I am also very excited to have a life again! Now that the class is over I can probably "only" work 40 hours a week, like a normal person! I can come home at night and hang out with my husband! Maybe, just maybe, I can ride my bike someday, too! Yay! Actually, I have been running and swimming a few days a week, so I am not too bent out of shape about not riding recently.
Well I am going to go now. I am going to address our Christmas cards - woohoo! :) Coming soon to a mailbox near you ...
Bye!

No comments: