Wednesday, June 11, 2008

a disappointing day

Today was kind of blah. I have been calculating and recalculating moisture convergence for over a week and it still is several orders of magnitude too large. It's really hard because the model I use has hexagon-shaped grid cells arranged all willy-nilly. I am actually glad that I took the modeling class last semester because it has come in handy. But I wish I could get my moisture budgets to balance!

Also, I have a lot of work to do still on Part 1 of my thesis. It is probably at least two days worth of work. This is disappointing and overwhelming, since I still haven't really written anything for the results of Part 2. I also feel overwhelmed because keeping up with CMMAP gets harder every week. And for some reason I decided I should write an article on the Beijing air pollution during the Summer Olympics for the AGU newsletter. Very interesting but it will take a bit of work and a few interviews because I definitely know very little about the topic.

One bright light for the week is that I finally set a defense date - Aug 4! But this is kind of a double-edged sword because it means that I HAVE to get everything done now. I am going to be busy/out of town starting about June 26 (until July 6), so I really really want to have things done by the 26th. Yeah, that is only 15 days away. Not sure how that is going to work out. It will probably involve very little sleep. I think it is realistic to have the first draft of Part 2 and final of Part 1 done by then. Then I can work on finishing Part 2 when I get back from Georgia and my committee would still get my thesis 3 weeks in advance.

Also a disappointment is that I haven't been training since my hike on Saturday (I should post a trip report, it was amazing!!) because I got massively sunburned and so am avoiding the sun and sweating. I was going to swim and bike on the Lake to Lake course tonight and I was really really looking forward to it. But, when I got to the lake I ran over a curb and got a flat tire on my car. :( So instead of swimming Chris and I changed the tire (it took several tries with the car jack), and then I was too tired and upset to ride.

Chris felt equally disappointed because he was going to ride for the first time in several weeks but it was just too windy. So we went out to dinner and it was really nice to relax and not have to cook or wash dishes.

Now I'm not sure why I'm blogging instead of going to bed because I want to get up early to go running. I think since today was so frustrating I am just going to run for however long I want and just have fun. I have been really enjoying trail running lately. It is so nice and a great challenge! Anyway, I think I just needed to vent a little. Now I can get some rest.

No comments: