Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 14: Domhutte to Zermatt in pictures

I can't find the journal I kept on the trail so for now here are some pictures from our final day on the Haute Route.


The view from the Domhutte as the sun rose was amazing. We wouldn't have seen any of this if we had stayed at the Europahutte or descended the night before because of the thick fog in the valley. So it was well worth the trek!

These are the stairs leading to the part of the hut w/ the beds. I met an interesting guy up here who said he had fallen on a glacier the day before trying to summit Dom. He asked if I could look at where he fell to make sure he was okay, and then pulled down his pants and showed me his butt! Luckily Chris was there but I tried to not make a big deal of it and kept talking to him. Then he pulled out some ointment and asked if I was a nurse! Eek! Apparently the whole time we were talking he was rubbing it ALL OVER but I was determined to keep my eyes on his face and no lower. Crazy Europeans!

It wasn't as scary going down as it had been going up the night before.




We made it to Zermatt! I don't know if I've ever been more exhausted! :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

You guys are so hard core! It looks like you had a great experience, though. I've been to Zermatt before and loved it!!(but our "roughing it" was staying in hostels, not hiking giant mountains :) ).

Chris said...

So, when are we planning our trip to the Via Alpina?