Monday, January 10, 2011

Lunches

Lately my lunches have not been very healthy. For a while, I was eating out most days because I didn't know what I'd be in the mood for come lunch time. That was getting expensive though, and takes a big chunk out of my work day. Now I'm buying frozen lunches, because I've been enjoying eating something other than PB&J for lunch. I'm trying to get organic ones (like Kashi or Amy's burritos) that are relatively low in fat and sodium, but most of them still have 20-30% of my daily sodium, which seems like a lot. Also, it's still not very cheap.

Meanwhile ... I'm getting weekly emails from babycenter.com. I just got the '15 week' email the other day (my baby is the size of an apple). The email had 3 recommended, healthy lunches. I'm excited to try them (once I finish my current supply of frozen meals), and thought I'd share. They sound tasty and healthy for anyone, not just a pregnant person :)

• Pita Pocket: Stuff 1 whole-wheat pita with 3 ounces of crab salad (use canned crabmeat mixed with fat-free mayo and spices), 2 tablespoons of avocado or guacamole, 1 ounce cheese, and lettuce and tomato. Serve with a piece of fruit.

• Crunchy Fiesta Salad: Mix together a handful of chopped lettuce, 1/3 cup black beans, 2 tablespoons of corn, 2 tablespoons of guacamole, chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of pine nuts (optional), and 1 ounce shredded low-fat cheese. Top with salsa or low-fat dressing (cilantro works well too!).

• Mediterranean Roll-Up: Spread 1 whole-wheat tortilla with hummus, cover with fresh spinach, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Top with a sprinkling of pasteurized feta cheese and a dollop of plain yogurt.

No comments: