Monday, April 25, 2011

Nap time!

Tomorrow I have a 'proposal review' meeting with my PhD committee. I'm supposed to tell them what I plan on having in my dissertation, and they're supposed to provide feedback and basically say whether it sounds like I'll be able to defend in the next 6 months or so. It's the last big hurdle before the official defense (oh yeah other than actually writing the dissertation!), at least as far as my committee goes. I've had some friends say it was really easy, and other friends who had a really hard time in theirs.

Maybe I should be more worried, but today I was so tired that I came home and took a 4 hour nap! So much for last-minute preparations. It was one of the few times over the last few months that I've given into the "I'm pregnant" feeling and gave myself a break. I might start being nicer to myself. I'm feeling a little burnt out from all the work, and I want to be home more often to do things like get the baby's room ready and spend time with Chris. I guess it will depend on how tomorrow goes. Right now even just working 8-5 M-F sounds like a nice break!

Sometimes it helps to think "What's the worst that can happen?" Realistically, the worst that can happen tomorrow is my committee will give me a really hard time, and then tell me they don't think I can finish any time soon. In which case ... I'd be pretty relieved! :) Haha. The best case (and an unlikely one) is I convince them I've done enough work already and can finish by July. In which case, I'll have to keep working really hard and maybe that won't be the best situation, at least for the next 2 months. So either way, I'll be happy, just for different reasons. That's why I'm not really nervous. I've done what I can up to this point, no use worrying too much about it. At least I know I'll be well-rested! :)

2 comments:

Eric said...

Great Attitude!

Anna said...

Thanks, I think, haha.

By the way, you and Natalie rule - thank you so much for all the awesome Georgia clothes! With any luck the baby will never have to wear anything that's not a combination of red/black. :)