Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Life is good today ...

I'll keep in the spirit of blog posts for the time-crunched, and just update some highlights over the last few days. As the post says, things are going well lately.

This morning Emmaline looked at the monkey on her mobile, smiled, and then grabbed it! So awesome. (I realize if you don't have kids this sounds like no big deal, but after 2 months of her hitting herself in the face with her flailing arms, it's exciting that she is beginning to control them!)

Last night I went to see Zac Brown Band at Red Rocks with my friend Michelle. It was a great concert, even though it rained almost the whole time! I forgot how much I love concerts - it's so much fun to sing along and dance, even though I am awful at both. I've never been to a concert at Red Rocks and it was as great a venue as everyone says it is. I missed Emmaline, especially since she had been in daycare all day, but it was also really nice to have a night "off". So thanks, Michelle, for thinking of me and letting me be your date for the night!! :)

We moved Emmaline into her nursery on Sunday night, mainly for the benefit of whoever is not feeding her. Also we thought maybe we would sleep more soundly because she is a grunter! So far it's been working. I'm not sure if it's related or not, but she went 7 hours between feedings Monday and Tuesday nights! Monday night was the best because she was asleep from 10-4 AM! We went to sleep at 11, and I was so excited about getting 5 hours of consecutive sleep that I couldn't get back to sleep - ironic.

I decided not to do the half marathon in November. For one thing, I am barely running - maybe 5 miles a week. I don't want to injure myself trying to do too much too quickly. Also, I underestimated how much I would want to be with the baby, instead of working out. Since I'm also trying to finish my dissertation, it just seems like too much. However ... I think I will register for a trail 10K in San Francisco the weekend before AGU! :)

Speaking of finishing the dissertation - it's not going well.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Whats going on with the dissertation??? Eventhough it is not going well, it is nice to have you back at work! Maybe if I work out really hard ... and you work out a little less we can be at the same level of physical fitness and run together :) haha!

Dearly Loved said...

I think I've really slacked on my working out too, lately. I'm sure you've known that I haven't felt well these last few months. I finally got back in Master's this week, and back on the running trails too. You're doing really good! You've been biking, you have kickball, you've already gone hiking. I think that's fantastic for having such a new baby!

Sazzle said...

I saw a link to your blog from Laura's blog and I felt like I was reading my own thoughts! The happiness about longer stretches of sleep and the hope that my baby may actually some day grab something with his hands (that just now still flail about). Plus the lack of interest in working out (or lack of time...can't figure out which is the primary issue these days). Cheers to motherhood! :)