Monday, December 8, 2008

Who has the time????

I've been annoyed today by the lack of time I have in each day. What's even more annoying to me is how much some people seem to get done in a limited amount of time. How is a person supposed to keep up with a house, job, relationships, and hobbies? What's more, how on earth does one do all this sanely with kids?? I really appreciate my friends who don't pretend to be perfect. Hearing that other people don't have it together makes me feel a little better. I feel relieved when I'm at someone's house and it's not sparkling. On the other hand, it's somewhat stressful to me to be around people who try very hard to have a "I have it all together" image.

I started the day feeling this way because of the current (well, pretty much perpetual) state of our house - we have a tree with no lights on it, lights on the house left over from last Christmas that no longer work, two knee-deep piles of clothes on our bedroom floor, dirty dishes, a backyard littered with wheelbarrows and hoses (now buried in snow), and a garage that is hazardous to walk through. So, I feel a little bummed that none of that got addressed over the weekend. On the other hand, who cares? I had work to do and ran 9 miles on Saturday, went to holiday parties Friday and Saturday nights, and spent Sunday snowboarding at Copper and at the Avalanche game in Denver. I didn't have time for all of that other crap, and I had a really nice weekend.

Sometimes I feel like I have to fight to stay sane because of this lack of time issue. The best thing I can do is to just break up tasks and try to do a little each night. Tonight I washed the dishes, went grocery shopping with Chris, and cleaned most of the bathroom. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to the laundry. I just have to remember that my life is not completely together because I enjoy it, and I'd much rather spend a day snowboarding than scrubbing my tub. On the other hand, it's worth the work to keep my house somewhat in order because it saves me from stressing out when I realize we live in complete chaos. It's all about balance. I'll let you know when I get that one down.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

you can come to my house any day and feel better about being messy ... I never have time to do anything and I would much rather go skiing or drink beer with friends than clean my house ... the only time I clean is when I know that someone (other than you and chris) are coming over and i dont want to have to explain that I am a big mess ... I also clean when I think a cute boy might be stopping by, but that doesnt really happen anymore so pretty much my house is messy :)