Thursday, August 6, 2009

Chugach State Park Day 1

I am going to try to only post the high and low of each day, to try and capture as much of our trip as possible without boring you to tears. Also I'll have a few pictures from each day.

Day 1, 6 mile hike to Eagle Lake
Highs: Nap on the boulders next to Eagle Lake. Also the view from our campsite! Here's what I wrote while sitting outside my tent that night:
At the head of Eagle Lake is a much narrower valley, with steep mountains on either side. The valley curves to the right, but from here it looksl ike it deadends into the Matterhorn-like Eagle Peak. We might scoff at its height in Colorado (6900') but this mountain is really badass. The summit is most often shrouded in clouds, and its steep slopes have some very serious looking snowfields. Climbing this beast, at least from this side, would NOT be an easy feat.
Lows: I can't think of any!

I will also put a few pictures from each day. Chris picked out his 200 favorite (out of 700!) on his flicker account (he is Choice City Chris) if you want more.

Amazing colors from the flowers along S. Fork Eagle River.






Eagle Peak:

No comments: