Friday, August 7, 2009

Chugach State Park Day 4

Day 4: Up (north fork) Ship Creek, without a paddle. 6 wet miles

What turned out to be our worst day started with 2 good omens. 1. I had an amazing dream the night before. I was euphoric after our successful hike over the pass and the amazing flower-filled meadow we were sleeping in. I dreamed I was back in Ft. Collins and someone asked me how the trip was. I enthusiastically responded, "It was great! Eagle and Symphony lakes were amazing, the hike over the pass was exhilerating ..." But I couldn't remember the rest of the trip. Then it dawned on me, that was because it hadn't happened yet! I was still in Alaska, and when I woke up, I got to continue living out this dream hike! Omen #2 was a rainbow slanting through Ship Creek valley when we woke up. This was going to be a good day!

Low: the rest of the day. It rained and was windy and cold most of the day. We were bushwhacking so made tremendously slow progress. We didn't make it nearly as far as we wanted to. We stopped by about 6 or 6:30, I was unsatisfied with how far we'd gone but was losing the will to keep trudging on. Eric was done, too, and his knees were causing him considerable pain, as I recall. I felt like we were all at our wits end, being so cold and worn out. Our spirits were as low as were were wet by the end of the day. This nights dreams were filled with concern over the feasibility of the rest of the trip.
A rainbow! This is going to be a great day!

A moose was uphill of us while we ate breakfast.

Sometimes we'd find a great moose or bear trail to follow, but inevitably it would tail off into something like this ...

A rare picture of our photographer.

This look says it all.

No comments: