Friday, August 7, 2009

Chugach State Park Day 3

Day 3: Over unnamed pass to N. Fork Ship Creek valley (4.5 slow miles)

Low: I was very anxious approaching the pass. One part was very steep (no way to do it without scrambling on loose rock/scree). That made me nervous (I am a wimp), and the fear of the unknown was haunting me as we crested the pass. What if the other side was as steep? Or steeper?? Which brings me to the high - coming over the pass to an unbelievable panorama of jagged peaks, a huge valley, the water by Anchorage, and a gradual, grassy slope to descend on. :)

The coloring of Eagle and Symphony (foreground) lakes will never cease to amaze me.

Lots of rocks to hike over on the way up to the pass made for slow going. We chose to go up to the right of the two tarns above Symphony Lake.

The bump on the ridge is the scary part we had to go over. Steep and crumbly, yuck.

Looking back into headwaters of Symphony Lake.

We made it to the top!

Obligatory couple shot.

This was the other side of the pass. Eric perfected is sliding down heather technique here.

No comments: