Thursday, February 4, 2010

Colorado vs Liberia

So far, coming home from Liberia has been bittersweet. I actually wish we had a few more days there, things didn't really come together until the last few days and it would have been fun to have some more time to get to know the friends we made there. I keep thinking about how different life is here! So in honor of that, here are some things I've been grateful for since returning, and things that I've missed.

Grateful for:
- electricity and running water
- brushing my teeth with the tap water
- how clean it is here
- my education
- our government (there's plenty to complain about but at least it works)


I don't miss:
- worrying about running over hundreds of pedestrians while driving
- all the attention that comes with being an American in Africa (especially when holding a camera ...)
- people assuming that just b/c I'm American I have plenty of money to spare
- sweating all day
- not being sad or wanting to cry several times a day.


I miss (oddly enough):
- seeing the status of the ants on my bathroom wall each morning
- talking with Chris while showering and filling the bucket in case the water pressure runs out
- waking up to Francis' beautiful smile and hugs
- being surrounded by joyful people
- the inspiration of Rev. Luther and the Transformation International boys,
- coke with real sugar
- swimming in the ocean after a long and hot day.


We have tons of pictures to go through, soon I'll start posting a few at a time with some stories.

1 comment:

Kate T-C said...

Awww, that is really sweet, Anna. It sounds like you had an incredible journey.