Monday, April 5, 2010

I heart supercomputers

OK, so my title is a lie. I'm trying to debug something on a new supercomputer and it's going VERY slowly. I learned that running my job interactively is much faster than going in the debug queue but it's still pretty tedious. So ... while my code does nothing I thought I'd write about my weekend, which was much more exciting.

Chris and I went for our first mountain bike ride of the year - a nice loop up Maxwell behind CSU's stadium, along Shoreline Trail, then linking up with some of the Foothills trail to Michaud Lane. Overall it was about 14 miles, a perfect length. Although in general Chris is better than me, one thing I am better at is keeping my expectations low after not riding for a while! He got frustrated a little easier when he couldn't make it through some rocky sections, whereas my response was just, "Yeah, I expected that". But I am excited about riding more and all things considered it was a very fun ride.

In the evening, I spent a few hours at the Bean Cycle reading for my class. Considering I was working, it wasn't too bad. Maybe that is because I didn't have coffee Friday (horror!), so a couple of cups made me very happy (until I couldn't fall asleep that night).

Easter was really nice. We went to church at 8:00 to avoid the crowds, and then had a relaxing morning with breakfast, getting ready for lunch (we had some friends over), and I went for a run. It took a lot of effort, but I didn't freak out this Easter like I usually do. In Georgia, Easter is BEAUTIFUL. The weather is warm, the flowers are blooming, and every one wears dresses to church. As a child, I associated this awesome weather with God being happy on Easter. Here, it's still mostly brown, cold, and snows sometimes (even this year it snowed for about 10 minutes). One year, I had a fit b/c I'd been planning on wearing a nice dress to church and it was a freaking blizzard. So I pouted on the bedroom floor for a few minutes and then had to wear pants and a sweater. What is Eastery about that?? Anyway, this year I was better, even when it started to snow. And by about noon it was gorgeous weather for my run, so I guess God likes Colorado Easters after all.

We also had our first softball game on Sunday. We continued our dominance in the rec league with a shut-out against a kind of intimidating looking team. AND I hit a triple!!! Sweet!! It must have been my belly full of macaroni and cheese (although that made running to 3rd a little painful). I hit well my first game of the year last year, too, and then ended up sucking a lot the rest of the year and perfected the art of hitting to the pitcher. So I really hope that doesn't happen again this year! We have another game tonight so I guess I'll find out soon.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

My whole life I've always been extremely jealous of people who got to buy cute flowery dresses for Easter ... when you don't really celebrate easter you don't get to buy easter dresses :( So I can totally understand your frustration with crappy weather on easter.

Anna said...

Can you buy a Passover dress? :)

mcassidy25 said...

I went for my "first" ride of the season the other day as well! I highly recommend Blue Sky right now, it's baller! :)