Thursday, April 1, 2010

A new goal

Well Chris and I have decided to put off children for a little bit. His job is very much up in the air right now and it doesn't seem like a good idea financially. Plus now we are seeing signs of summer and having conversations about backpacking in the Rockies, and I don't want to give that up! I think being pregnant in the winter sounds better, so we'll probably revisit this topic in a few months, depending on his employment status.

I was thinking the other day how my fitness level is very yo-yo like. Last summer I was probably the fittest I've ever been after doing the half ironman and 200 miles of backpacking. I think I did a reasonable job of staying in shape over the winter, but traveling and health issues have left their mark.

So, my new goal is to be CONSISTENT! 12 months a year! I get motivated by having concrete goals so I came up with some reasonable ones for the next 12 months:
- Run 625 miles ... that's an average of 12 miles per week. I've maybe averaged 10 miles a week the last couple of years.
- Bike 3000 miles ... This comes out to 30 miles a week in the winter, and 75 miles a week in the warmer 6 months of the year, plus a few hundred miles thrown in for good measure. :) Although when I was racing I definitely put in more than 75 miles a week, for a yearly total 3000 would be quite a lot for me.

A little motivation from some of my favorite runs and bike rides over the past year or so:
road bike ride in Arches National Park:

Views along my run along the Pacific coast in San Diego:


I think I can do this and have fun without overtraining and getting burnt out, like I kind of did toward the end of my half ironman training last summer. Also I figure things like hiking count as running so I can be flexible. Most of all, I am really excited about the spring weather and a summer full of good times in the mountains!

Of course, if I get pregnant then this will all change. But part of the motivation for doing this is that the better shape I'm in when I get pregnant, I would assume the more I'll be able to work out through the pregnancy and the healthier I'll be in general.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

so based on your "goals" ... my goal to ride my bike 1000 miles this "summer" (whatever summer means) is probably a bit more than I can actually handle :(

haha, it's still going to be my goal!

Anna said...

No I think you can do it!! Especially once it's nice out, then it will be so much fun to ride :)

mcassidy25 said...

Yay Anna! We should help each other, I'm having motivation issues myself.