Friday, February 22, 2008

Random: Training, serving, insecurities

TGIF!! This week has moved along fairly quickly. Right now I am at work but having the usual computer problems, so I'll just take a "little" break. So, my training is coming along pretty well. I am happy that I haven't missed a workout in the past two weeks. It is kind of tiring though! Chris would say I just need more sleep ... which is probably true! Wednesday I swam 3500 yards, which is almost 2 miles! It was really good, but probably the most I want to swim at one time before going to work. I love swimming. :) Yesterday I ran a loop that I really enjoy - I head straight for the foothills from my house, run by the football stadium, and then run south and do a loop around Pineridge Reservoir. It is nice b/c it is mostly on trails (little muddy though), and is probably somewhere around 4 to 4-1/2 miles. Running felt good, my knees didn't feel wonderful but they didn't hurt either. I am glad I am mostly back in the swing of running! I'm supposed to run 8 miles tomorrow!!

Gosh, I feel like there is a lot on my mind but I don't know what to write about. Well, to be honest, I haven't done much after watching that movie on Sunday. I love that Chris has such a passion for serving others! It is a blessing to be married to him! When I was little, I would sit in church and hear the priest talk about people who completely devoted their lives to God and others. I would think, "Wow, I want to do that! But, I should finish high school first ..." Then in college I would think, "Well, I really need a degree." Now I think, "Giving it all up for service would be great, but I want to be a teacher and have a PhD and live a comfortable life." But sometimes I still feel this nagging to do something extreme! I really felt this way after Chris and I went to Gulfport to help with hurricane relief two years ago. In reality, it would be great if I would just find something to be involved in a few hours a week here in Fort Collins. Sometimes I just want to have a deeper life and not just live for me and Chris. So get on it Anna!!

Well, that is one train of thought. What else. You know one thing I really hate - having a negative body image! I mean really, why should I, I work out a lot!! To me the greatest part about being active is that I can do pretty much whatever I want to. Got some spare time and it's a nice day - great let's go ride for 50 miles! When summertime comes along, almost any hiking or backpacking trip I would want to do is within my ability. I should be proud of what my body does for me, but sometimes I am too critical! I am really bad about comparing myself to other people, too. What is up with that? I just have to love me for me. Isn't that a song?

OK, I just sent an email to a woman at my church who is a kind of volunteer coordinator I guess. Maybe she can help me find somewhere to get involved (whether at the church or in the community). :)

This was really random. Well, now I am going to think of some work to do. I'm thinking today will be a short day! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Sometimes I am amazed that we can be so similar (even though I know we are totally different). I always feel bad that I have put my education/career/life ahead of things like helping others. I really want to go to Africa or South America and work with kids teaching science or english or AIDS education, but I always think ... first let me get my degree then I'll be ready. When am I ever going to be ready to just leave my comfortable life here? Sometimes I think I should just take the plunge and go be useful someplace else!

Also ... I wonder why I have such horrible body image too, especially since moving to CO where even though I work out a ton I still gain all this weight. But like you said, I am probably in the best shape of my life I am strong and I have good insurance (although nothing like yours) so I should be happy that I can go out and do whatever physical activity i want. If you and I feel this way ... then I would guess that most girls feel this way.

Anna said...

Yeah, the body image thing is sad! I think it is part of living in America where we are always seeing 'perfect' looking women on TV, in magazines, etc. ...sigh...
On the other hand, I love to eat, am addicted to chocolate, and I think doing ab work is like dying a slow, painful death, so I guess I have to just get over it!