Friday, April 11, 2008

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Here is my week in review:

The Good
1. Went to the Rockies/Braves game on Tuesday night. It was $1 hot dog night. We were right near left field and a guy sitting near us serenaded Matt Holliday with "Wing Beneath my Wings". Later that inning Holliday threw a ball right to the guy. Guess he liked the singing! Then a guy two rows behind me tried to catch a high pop-up foul ball, but it went through his hands and hit his face with a loud pop!! Somehow the guy escaped with only a knot on his forehead. The Rockies won 4-3.
2. Met with my mentee on Monday and had a good time. Found out today that she got two jobs this week - wow I am impressed and happy for her!
3. Sunday Rachel and Holly (who went to Nigeria w/ Chris) came over and helped me cook some African dishes. It was fun and the food was great! The cookbook is done, although I still have to print some and bind them.
4. Helped Erika stuff 750 envelopes for the 'Heart of the Father in Africa' campaign this afternoon. Although I am short on time this week, it has been nice to do things to help others.
5. Maike's cats made it safely to England!

The Bad
1. My SCM results look terrible. I have supposedly new and improved driver data, but I can't write a thesis based on these results!! I don't know what's wrong, and I'm afraid I'll be spending the weekend trying to figure that out.
2. Tiger hasn't been eating. He went from 12 pounds to 8.7. He pukes anywhere from 0 to 3 times a day (usually with at least one of those occurring in the middle of the night). So today I took him to the vet. When the vet called me, her first words were, "tiger, he's a pistol!" He did not cooperate with them, so they couldn't run some of the tests. He was nice enough to pee all over the place, so they didn't have to sedate him to get a urine analysis (saved me some dough). I am very happy to find out he doesn't have anything serious wrong with him, but am still mystified as to why he won't eat, and my bank account is now $260 lighter.
3. Melissa and I have been working a lot on a presentation we're giving next Friday at the Colorado Global Climate Conference. We're giving 3 talks to high schoolers about careers in climate change. I think it will be a lot of fun but working on the presentation has cut into what little time I have this week.

The Ugly
1. I've been eating like crap this week, between hot dogs at the baseball game, to beers last night, to a sinfully delicious cookies'n'cream milkshake I just polished off.
2. I bonked hard-core on my ride last Sunday. I made it up Rist Canyon in about 1 hour 20 minutes, which is one of my slowest times ever. My average speed was less than 10 mph. The rest of the ride was nice b/c I returned home via the Poudre Canyon, which is mostly downhill. I don't know what's wrong with me. I've taken the week off and I hope it helps.

No comments: