Monday, April 21, 2008

What is wrong with me


View Larger Map

Today I got to work and saw that my model is not running. Then I realized that it has problems that I need to fix. Then I got discouraged. Then I decided I should drive to Georgia this summer. Then I decided I should plan my dream route - here it is:

Day 1: Leave Fort Collins early, stop at Sunflower Mtn in western Kansas. This is in the middle of nowhere and the state's high point. Stop in Kansas City for BBQ, and arrive in Steelville, Missouri around midnight. Camp.

Day 2: Wake up early and ride the 24 mile Berryman mtn bike trail. According to singletracks.com, "In 1998 Bike Magazine did an article and called it the best singletrack East of the Rockies and West of the Appalachians." Leave around noon, and then get to Lexington, Kentucky by 7 or 8 PM. Stay with friends Jennifer and Kenneth.

Day 3: Spend the day with Jennifer. Since this is my ideal trip (AKA my imaginary world), she of course will be able to take the day off to spend with me.

Day 4: Leave Lexington and arrive around noon at the trailhead for Black Mountain, Kentucky's highest point. Spend the rest of the day hiking, and spend the night at a backcountry site.

Day 5: Hike until about noon, then head to Asheville, NC. Arrive around 3:00 and hang out with my friend Paul.

Day 6: Hike up Mt Mitchell (NC's highest point) with Paul (again, of course he will be available. Who needs to work??). Leave Asheville around 3:00, stop in Athens for dinner (possibly w/ friends Darrel, Anna, Tricia, Jeremy), and get to my mom's house in Atlanta late.

Days 7-11: Spend time in Atlanta with friends and family.

Day 12: Leave Atlanta, arrive in the Ozarks in Arkansas by 8 PM. Camp.

Day 13, 14: Backpack in the Ozarks, for some reason an area I've always wanted to explore. Hopefully have time for Mt Magazine, Arkansas' highest point (there is a pattern here).

Day 15: Finish hiking around noon. Drive 4 hours to Edmond, OK and stay with my step brother and his family.

Day 16: Leave around 8 Am and get to the Guadalupe Mtns in western Texas by 7 PM. In my imaginary world, Chris is able to meet me at some point in the last few days of my trip, because hiking and biking are much more fun with him. Of course then we have two cars ...

Days 17, 18: Backpacking trip including Guadalupe Mtn, Tx's highest point!

Day 19: Hike in the morning, leave around 1:00. Arrive in Taos, NM by 8 PM

Day 20: Mountain bike around Taos in the morning, leave by 1 PM, get home by 7:00 :(

OK ... that is a 3 week trip. Pretty unlikely, but much more interesting than my research which never seems to go anywhere.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I think you will need a vacation from your vacation when you get back ...

Pete said...

I'm so glad that your day was apparently as unproductive as MY day! (and I'm glad I'm not the only who feels like my research is going no where)