Friday, July 3, 2009

Welcome summer!

I am a little behind the rest of the world on this one, but I would like to welcome summer to my life. Sure, the season began a few weeks ago but I'm talking about the kind of summer where you can leave work at work and enjoy the beautiful weather and good times with friends as much as possible.

Yesterday was a great start - I slept until 10!!! Wow, I didn't even know that was still possible! Then I cleaned the kitchen (Ok, it's not all fun and games), and then ran a million errands, but all on my bike. I was worried it would be really hot but some clouds rolled in so the weather was perfect. My longest stop was at the CSU library. Chris and I are going on a roadtrip this weekend and have decided to not use the internet for planning it. So we've been gathering information from this paper things called maps and then from these stacks of paper called books. Did you know that the library has guide books for travel, and tons of maps, including some trails illustrated maps and USGS topo maps for the whole country??? It took me almost 2 hours to find everything I wanted, but I think we are set. Plus, I got 6 topo maps for Alaska, which Chris and I are going to pour over this weekend. And, to top it all off, I got a "roadside geology of wyoming" book, so I know it's going to be a good weekend. :)

I also went to the Bean Cycle. I really love that place. It's a good place to work but also has a book store in it, so yesterday I went just to browse through the books, and finally decided on Memoirs of a Geisha. It was used and so only $5, sweet. I ran a few more errands, including a trip to the grocery store, so by the time I got home the bike-a-boose was completely loaded down and I was exhausted!

I had two big workouts I was hoping to do yesterday but realized when I got home that I am almost as burnt out from training as I am from work. So I skipped them, hahaha! I am glad I have the next few days off because I will need to get a lot of training in the next 2 weeks before leaving for Alaska. But one thing you definitely learn from training for something is when to listen to your body when it's saying, "Stop, please!! I'm tired!" The rest is worthwhile and will make the training afterward more effective.

Speaking of training, there is a pretty big workout I need to do today and so should get going. 2:15 bike and a 45 minute run! Yikes .... Happy fourth of july!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You forgot to mention the best part of your day ... which was bumping into me at the Bean Cycle :)

How was your road trip ... I think its really cool that you guys planned your trip with out the internet ... I always wonder how I would travel without google maps :)