Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 2: What I've learned about pregnancy

It's hard to believe our baby is due tomorrow, and that I am being induced in less than two days (unless she comes before!). I was put on bed rest last Tuesday and thought I would blog a lot, but it's been so boring that I haven't had the motivation. Also I don't want to subject you to reading about my awesome days: "Today I watched TV, and slept in, and ate, and talked to some friends." That just about sums up the last 5 days.

But for fun I thought I'd share my list of "Top 10 things I've learned while pregnant". Sorry in advance because some of these are sappy (blame it on the hormones).

10. I like meat. Usually I shy away from things like pepperoni and sausage, but with the excuse of eating for 2 and needing protein, my diet has expanded. Now I'm all about some biscuits and gravy, or meat-lovers pizza. Yum!

9. I am not a nester. No surprise here, I never got a huge instinct to get the house perfect. In fact, the baby's room is still a mess!!

8. Fat ankles piss me off.

7. Pregnancy would be great if it only lasted from week 12-32. Before then, I was feeling sick and miserable. After that, I started feeling more tired and huge. But that middle section is golden. Then again, I've needed 40 weeks to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for this change.

6. I miss all the things I expected: biking, running, beer, and coffee (although I have been drinking a cup a few days each week - how could I be productive at work without it??).

5. We have great friends We've had lots of friends help us out as we get ready for the baby and I am so grateful for all of them.

4. Trust. I don't usually bring up my faith on here but this is a big one. I've had plenty of fears about whether the baby will be healthy, and whether I'll be a decent mother. I'm learning to turn all that over to God and trust that no matter what, He will watch over our daughter and help me be the best mom I can be.

3. Contractions do not equal labor I've been having them for weeks! It makes me glad I'm being induced, I think otherwise I would completely miss all the 'early labor' signs and probably end up being one of those people who delivers on the way to the hospital.

2. I married well! (Warning, sappy part 1) For the last 7 years (since we moved to Colorado), Chris and my life together has been very much about seeking adventure outside. I couldn't help but wonder if losing that aspect of our life would hurt our relationship. But I've learned that I can enjoy sitting on the back porch with him just as much as spending a night in the backcountry. This next phase in our life will be very different but I know we'll still have fun together and support each other. If anything, I love him more now than I did before being pregnant.

1. It is hard to anticipate what this little girl will mean to me. (Sappy part 2) Seeing how much I love Chris, I can't imagine that I might possibly love our daughter even more. Is that possible?

0. I will never finish my paint by numbers

1 comment:

Jenn said...

sappy part 2 and part 1 both make me want to cry and I certainly don't have the hormones to blame. but I am excited to meet baby girl Harper and I am excited for you ALL to be part of my own journey into a new phase with Wes.