Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Aaaahhhh....

I decided on Monday that I am resting this week. I haven't really had a rest week from training since mid-January, since my last rest week I decided I needed to ride my bike more. So now I can focus on other aspects of my life (yes, there are other aspects). Such as ... quiet time! Being relaxed. Stretching. Being with friends and Chris. Working.

Yesterday I went to the Matthews House (www.thematthewshouse.org) to see about mentoring there. It is a place for kids (17-21ish) coming out of the foster or judicial system, who need help transitioning to adulthood and being self sufficient. I think it sounds like a really cool place, and I think this is where I am being called to help. We'll see. I would mentor a girl. I have a big application to fill out, I need some references, and I have to get fingerprinted. Wow. The next mentor orientation is March 26.

I also went to the cycling team meeting. It is weird for me not to be racing this year. I am pretty glad that I have not made that commitment, but I still miss the fun and comradarie of riding with the folks on the team. It is really a fun group of people. So maybe I will go to meetings from time to time to say hi, and I want to do 2 or 3 of the races this spring as training/fun. There is an individual time trial this weekend and I am trying to remind myself that this is a REST WEEK so I shouldn't do it! Actually, this would be an excellent weekend for Chris and I to get our yard ready for spring, especially the garden.

I am getting more and more excited about the summer. I can't wait to race and go backpacking!! I want to be in the woods! Oh, Chris did our taxes the other day and found out that we will actually get a refund for the first time in several years!!! This is especially exciting because we put a bunch of money into a money market account last summer that we figured we'd have to use for taxes, so now that money is ours! I am really excited because this year will be our 5 year wedding anniversary, and I think we should do something epic. I'm thinking either Costa Rica or Europe. Woohoo!

Okay, guess that is good for now. Time to work. Yay! Wait, I've decided I should post more pictures, but I don't have any recent ones right now. But, I will put up a picture of me in the Wind River mountains in NW Wyoming in 2005, right before starting grad school. It was probably the coolest backpacking trip I've been on and Chris and I want to go back to the Winds this summer. They are incredible! Alright, thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Resting is important!