Monday, March 24, 2008

COFFEE

I am waiting for some files to copy onto my laptop, so why not blog ...

I am definitely addicted to caffeine. The seeds were planted when I lived in Oxford, England for a few months in 2002 and worked at Starbucks, of all places. Then when I moved out here, I half drank coffee just to stay warm, but soon I was addicted! Of course, I also really appreciate the flavor of a good cup of coffee, so I'll drink decaf from time to time, but I definitely feel the effects when I don't drink any caffeine. Sad. Maybe one day, when I'm not an overworked grad student, I will wean myself off. I'm not that bad though, 2 cups of coffee in a day is my max. I'm trying to drink more tea instead of coffee, too.

Not surprisingly, there are some fellow caffeine addicts in my department, and so this semester we began a Thursday morning coffee group. We take turns bringing in beans and also a tasty snack to go along with it. It's really nice, I really enjoy the completely random and geeky conversations we usually have. It's also very nice of my officemate, Erica, to put up with us caffeindes, since she is not a coffee drinker.

Here is some of the most memorable coffees I've had ...
- Jittery Joes coffee. Chris and I know the guy who owns Jittery Joes (he actually is the minister who married us and also did my dad's memorial service), and last time we were in Athens he gave me a tin of freshly roasted beans - they were delicious!
- something about coffee made when you're camping is phenomenal, even when there are grounds in the bottom.
- Bean Cycle coffee :)
- Matt Massarik brought in a coffee for one of our Thursday get togethers that tasted like blueberries. It was uniquely delicious.
- I really liked Dunkin Donuts coffee when I lived in Georgia, it was near where I worked and every now and then I'd get a donut, too. I miss Dunkin Donuts! (and Krispy Kreme, for that matter) Maybe my next blog should be about donuts ...
- I love coffee with Eggnog, one of the many reasons I love Christmas! And not spiked Eggnog, that is one drink that is definitely better virgin.
- I like coffee in the morning black, with oatmeal - it's a good way to wake up!
- I had Kona coffee when I was in Hawaii last year and was not impressed (maybe because it was $3.00 for a small cup)

Ok files are done, bye! I'm going home now and I'm grilling salmon - yum. :)

2 comments:

Anna said...

Wait, I thought of another ...
Cafe au lait with beignets at the Cafe Du'Monde in New Orleans (I'm sure my spelling is completely off for all those crazy french words)

Rachel said...

I think our thursday morning coffee breaks (or well this week wed morning) are pretty the best thing we have done since starting gradschool. I think its weird when people in gradschool are not addicted to caffeine. How the heck do they survive Dave's 8am lectures??? (or Cottons, or Schubert's for that matter). Coffee is a lot like beer, in the sense that it gets people talking and laughing. I think that drinking coffee has improved my life by 1000% and I advocate all people becoming addicted :). Also, I've never thought that having a caffeine addiction was really a bad thing and I am happy to read in health magazines about the wonderful benefits coffee has for our bodies ... of course the cream and sugar I like in my coffee probably counter balances all of those benefits, but oh well.