Sunday, November 9, 2008

68 Reasons to Tri!

This is a list I came up during some of my more OCD/can't stop thinking about racing moments. I started it in 2002 when training for my first tri, and recently added 45-68. Enjoy ... or not. It makes me happy! :)

1. I like being in good shape – feels good!
2. I enjoy competition
3. It forces me to take care of myself
4. Helps motivate me to work out – gives exercise a purpose
5. Training makes me more in touch with my body
6. I want to look like a triathlete – trim and fit
7. I like being able to kick ass – to some degree!
8. Physically, if I can do tri’s, I can do the PCT, climb mountains, etc.
9. I think I can do well in them
10. It’s cool to be able to say “I race in triathlons”
11. To celebrate what God gave me
12. Enjoy my athleticism while I’m still young
13. The race is fun
14. It’s a challenge
15. Having goals is healthy
16. I miss competitive sports
17. It forces me to be disciplined
18. Good for my heart
19. Less impact than running marathons (as if)
20. I can pig out in a healthy way
21. Maintain, maybe even lose a little, weight
22. It’s a way to improve myself
23. See new places
24. Meet new people
25. I get to be written on
26. To collect cool t-shirts
27. It’s exhilarating
28. The transitions are exciting
29. A good excuse to go to the lake
30. A good excuse to go to the country on a bike ride
31. I get out my frustrations through training
32. This is one area where I can tackle my weaknesses
33. It feels good to do well
34. I learn more about myself when challenged
35. It teaches me to work hard for something
36. Cycling is fun
37. Running is fun
38. Running in cool places is more fun
39. I like the way my body cuts through the water
40. It works almost all my muscles
41. I can get on a bike and just go
42. I can mountain bike better
43. It forces me to eat better
44. I can impress myself

45. Nothing beats the excitement of race morning
46. Setting goals is good – achieving them is better!
47. Training requires a balanced lifestyle – healthy eating and lots of rest, attention to how I’m feeling and doing
48. I’m more focused in other areas of my life when I’m training
49. Early morning runs in the foothills
50. Tackling the dams or Rist Canyon and feeling good doing it
51. Swimming for 2 hours with Rachel and then eating a huge meal at Lucilles
52. I (really really) love my bike
53. I love biking and running with Chris
54. Checking out bikes at races
55. Seeing all the fit, motivated, healthy, happy people at races
56. Being surrounded by positive attitudes and amazing stories of success
57. Long workouts and getting into the zone where I’m totally focused on the present moment
58. Training is my “me” time
59. Peanut butter and oatmeal with a cup of coffee before a big ride, yum
60. Having lots of neon swim caps
61. Yoga and stretching don’t just feel good, they are a necessity!
62. Having a good excuse to get a massage now and then
63. Espresso love gu’s
64. The excitement of coming out of the water into T1
65. The joy of crossing the finish line
66. Flexibility in my workouts – I don’t have to ride my bike when it’s 20F outside
67. It’s nice to have a low resting heart rate
68. Being in shape to commute on my bike and not have to drive everywhere

No comments: