Monday, March 2, 2009

Home Again

Today I am working at home because the roof is being repaired at my department - they are gluing it back together, apparently, and my office smelled awful by about noon today. Apparently this will be going on all week so I guess I will work at home a lot. There are pro's and con's to this. It's nice to be home and be able to do stuff like unload the dishwasher while I wait for code to run. It's nice to have it be so quiet, but that is also bad sometimes too. Sometimes I'm really productive when I work at home, but as you can see from this post, that is not always the case!

I moved my desk into a different room today to make a nicer work environment. We have two extra bedrooms - an office (aka disaster area) and another room that I like to use for exercise and meditation. So now my desk is in the latter room, which is much less cluttered and dark. So far it's been a good change.



It's a nice day out - Nora is enjoying it, and Daphne is helping me debug my code.



It's nice to be home also because Chris and I were away again this past weekend. We went to Atlanta to visit with his grandfather, and unexpectedly also spent a lot of time with my mom and stepdad. Grandpa Harper has 99% of one artery clogged, and most of another one is clogged as well. The doctor's had a grim prognosis for him a month ago, but he seems to be doing pretty well. He was on oxygen but could still get around. This was probably the most time I've spent with him and it was good to get to know him more. He has a PhD in forestry, so I think we bonded a little over how long and difficult the process of getting a PhD can be.

The other highlight of the weekend was the time with my family. It was pretty low key and enjoyable. I ate so much food on Saturday, it was quite a feat, and it was all amazing.

Two weekends ago, Laurie, Stuart, and Evan came skiing with us. Laurie and Stuart took their first lessons ever, and I think Laurie was getting the hang of it by the end of the weekend. :) Hopefully they can come back and work on their skills some time!

Here are some pictures of:
Me and Laurie at the base


Evan taking on some bumps at Mary Jane


Evan and Laurie on the bunny slope


And some really cool wave clouds over the continental divide!



But now I am really happy to be home - for 3 weeks - until I go to Colorado College! I have a lot of work to do to get ready, and desperately need to get my computer model up and running, so I will be busy between now and then. But at least I will be sleeping in my own bed :)



Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Your new work space looks really nice ... I wish that I had a sunny place to work in my appt ... one of the many reasons I want to move out (not enough sun!!)

Can they not clear the blockages in "Grandpa Harpers" heart? ... my mom had a similar problem last year and they put a stint in her heart, but then again she is probably a bit younger than Chris's grandpa :)

Good luck being productive :)

Anna said...

Yeah he is 89 so I think that any kind of heart operation would be too risky. :(