Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Counting down ... Day 25

Hypothetically, Chris and I have 25 days left as the two-person Harper family. Yesterday, I was wishing that number was more like 1. It was just one of those days when all of the pregnancy symptoms were present. I had another restless night on Sunday and was out of bed by 5:30, and was still exhausted on Tuesday. Also, my feet were HUGE, and this was what was really ticking me off. It's not that big of a deal but is kind of the icing on the cake. I expect to get fat in other places during pregnancy but now I am just embarrassed by my feet, ankles, and calves, and don't like the feeling of my pudgy toes rubbing up on each other. I didn't know such swelling was possible in the absence of broken bones. So I felt very tired and uncomfortable and annoyed all day.

Today has been a lot better. Partly because I've decided to give myself a bit of a break and work at home in the afternoons. So today I was at work until about 2:00, then I went swimming, and then worked at home until about 6:30. This worked out pretty well except that swimming (as with most other activities these days) wiped me out and I wasn't super productive after that. I think I will keep up this schedule but try not to have such an exhausting "break".

The big downside of the day was finding out that Chris got laid off. Talk about bad timing!! Luckily his boss is going to pay him through July, and I have my own insurance, so we will still be able to pay for minor things like delivering a baby. It is disappointing and will be a challenge, though. But we are trying to be optimistic. Chris was out of a job for 8 months a few years ago and we were just fine. Also, now we don't need to find child care, and we will qualify for Colorado's low cost health insurance plan for the baby. Between those two things, we will probably save ~$800 a month. And we'll have the benefit of Chris getting to spend more time with the baby. As long as I can finish my PhD sometime later this year and hopefully make more money, and/or he can find a new job in a few months, we'll be alright. Even if not, we'll find ways to make things work. This is a time when I'm glad we have our faith to help us out, and we can hopefully be a support to each other as I'm sure there will be some stressful situations in the next few months!

2 comments:

Amy said...

You are getting so close! Sorry about chris's job- I'm sure things will work out!

Laura said...

That really sucks about Chris' job but I really admire the positive attitude! You're going to be a fabulous mom :)