Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 23: Country music, & Hopes for my daughter

I'm not a huge Carrie Underwood fan anyway, but there is one song of hers that really drives me mad. Here's the short version: Man wants to have a son so he can go fishing and play baseball with him. Fine, I can understand. Then he finds out he's having a daughter, and ends up falling in love with her, which is all very sweet, but instead of the rest of the song being about how he realized he can still go fishing and play ball with a girl, it's about how "sweet, little, beautiful, wonderful, & perfect" she is. Oh and her big accomplishment in life is that she makes the quarterback of the football team fall in love with her. Ack! Give me a break!

Luckily a new song is out now that makes me much happier, from Trace Adkins. This one is about a father who is fishing (gasp, outdoor activities!) with his daughter, spending time with her like he probably would with a son. It's a nice song about the memories they're making, and of course at one point he mentions how she's going to grow up to be beautiful like her mom, but it's not the point of the song.

I like to think of the things Chris will do with our daughter to make her feel special. It's true that even little things can turn into great memories. My dad used to take me out to Shoney's on Saturday mornings. My cousin takes his six year old daughter to baseball games every chance he gets, and I love that about their relationship. I swear one of her first words was "ball".

Probably I am over-analyzing things here. Maybe I am oversensitive to gender stereotypes. But I am so happy to have grown up feeling like I could do anything that the boys could do. Maybe my daughter will end up being super girly and despise fishing, but she is going to have the chance to make that decision for herself.

No comments: