Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 20: A day in the life of crazy me!

There is so much going on in my head lately, this post might be a little frightening. It could also be inordinately boring. Either way, I apologize in advance.

8:30 Finally get out of bed. By some divine miracle, I was at work every day last week by this time, but this week I just cannot wake up. Part of the reason is I am losing any hope of being at a good stopping point when the baby comes. I feel like a lot of my research is not going at all the way I would like, and I'm finding more problems than solutions. So needless to say, writing up results seems like a long way off right now.

9:30 Show up at work ... think about roots ...

11:30 Have coffee (just a little) with Nick and Levi. They spend most of the time talking about a few hiking/backpacking trips they're planning for the summer. I listen in as if I'll be going too, and try not to think about how much I miss being above treeline. But then I think about all the new ways of enjoying the outdoors Chris and I will find with our little girl and it makes me happy. It also dawns on me that I have NO plans between now and ... September, maybe. Oh, other than seeing Harry Potter some time around July 15, haha. It is an unusual feeling!

1:00 Hmm ... I still haven't really gotten back to work since having coffee.

2:45 Chris interrupts my thoughts on negative runoff with some good news. A few months ago, he bought tickets to the Mumford & Sons concert for tomorrow night. Considering I prefer to sit down while drying my hair now because my feet/back hurt so much, I decided standing in a crowded concert for several hours didn't sound too fun. He was still going to go with another friend of ours. Just for fun, he posted an ad for $125/ticket on craigslist, and someone wants to buy them for that price (he paid $80 for the pair). People are crazy!! It would be a really fun concert to go to, but considering our current financial situation it would be dumb to pass the sale up. Just think of how many diapers that can buy ...

5:15 Back at work after a GLORIOUS pre-natal massage. Thanks to my friend Kate who passed along 3 free massage tickets at Amara!!! Who knew my back, hips, and feet could accrue so much pain and tightness from just day-to-day existence. Also went by the house to make iced decaf lattes and heard from Chris about training he received on this electrocution unit we can use for pain management during labor (Strange? Yes. Effective? Apparently). Sounds like he had a little too much fun seeing how high he could turn up the voltage.

5:46 Waiting for code to run ... here are some pictures ... This is me and my friend Kim, we raced together for the CSU cycling team. Our babies are due just one week apart! So funny. :) She's having a boy.

My mom came to visit over Memorial Day weekend. It was really really nice to have her here. I had high hopes for our productivity in the baby room, and we did get a lot done, but mostly it was nice to hang out. I have to say, the highlight of the weekend for me was breakfast at Lucille's. :) (Apologies this is not the best picture of either of us, we didn't think to take a picture all weekend until we were dropping her off at DIA!)

6:35 Soil texture is my enemy right now. It is poorly observed, highly variable, and makes a big difference in water retention of soils and root depth. Between a wacky soil texture map and the negative runoff problems in my code, I'm looking at rerunning about 15 simulations. Each one takes about 20 minutes, and I've already made a gajillion plots with the old results. See why I'm feeling pessimistic about work?

7:15 2/15 runs done. Heading home. Plans for the night include grilling hamburgers, washing off the veggies we got from our CSA (lots of lettuce!), and vegging out (probably watching 24). If something interesting happens I'll let you know :)

No comments: