Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 17: 'Some things never change', or 'what I do at work when I'm not working'

Today I put some thought into whether or not I might be able to run the half marathon I did last fall again this year. Last year I was about 7-8 weeks pregnant, and as soon as I finished the race I started day-dreaming about doing it again this year. For one thing it was on a really great trail, and I was just starting to fall in love with trail running when I got pregnant. Also I had to hold back and not let my heart rate get too high. I think I could have gone quite a bit faster, and would love the opportunity to try (although this year a goal of finishing in any time is probably more realistic).

I decided it's possible, barring a really difficult delivery or maybe a c-section where my recovery time will be longer. The half is on November 12, so hopefully a full 4 months after I have the baby. With the goal of just finishing, I think a moderate 10 week training plan would suffice, which would give me more than 2 months to work up to running about 12 miles a week. I'm also assuming I won't feel like or have time to do any exercise for about the first month of motherhood. Anyway, now I'm really excited about the prospect of running again.

On the other hand, I have totally lacked motivation to exercise recently. It is so boring ... just walking around the neighborhood or swimming the slowest laps ever, blah. Hopefully I won't be a total sloth by the time the baby is born.

No comments: