Sunday, April 5, 2009

Back to Work!

Well it was a nice weekend, but now I am trying to get back to work (although not too successfully as you can see by this post). Yesterday the weather was really nasty, so Chris and I spent a lot of time eating, drinking, and taking a nap. We also had a really interesting encounter with a homeless man named Mike. He was sitting by a storefront in downtown Co. Springs last night and we both felt bad for him since it's so cold. So Chris asked if he wanted a sandwich and the guy said, no, he just wanted something to drink. Well, at least he was honest! So we talked to him for a few more minutes and said a prayer with him, and then these cops came and told him he couldn't stay there any more. As it happened, he had just pulled out a fifth of bourbon to show Chris and I, so the cops took it and threw it away. I guess that was good timing because if there was one thing that man needed, it wasn't more alcohol. So Chris convinced him to let us take him to subway. We sat with him while he ate and heard about how he's been on the street for years, he has family in California but they won't help him, he got hit by a motorcycle last September ... life has not been too kind for Mike. We tried to ask him questions and just listen, I think he probably doesn't get too many chances for a friendly ear, but other than that (and the dinner) it was pretty discouraging to know that ultimately we couldn't do too much for him and he would be sleeping in the cold tonight, and would probably find his way to another bottle eventually, too. I know there is homelessness in Fort Collins but we don't see it too much, which the city probably sees as a good thing but if it makes us all ignorant of a real problem then maybe it's not. Anyway, I'm glad we could do a little something for Mike. Oh and this was Chris' idea and doing, I don't want to take any credit other than going along with it. He is very compassionate, it makes me feel really lucky to have him!

Well, that was a bit of a side note. Today Chris and I hiked around Garden of the Gods, it was really beautiful but kind of cold again. After Chris left I went for a run. I wasn't looking forward to it because I was really tired and it was snowing, but it actually went really well. I think I am getting faster ... maybe. I tested my heart rate at King Soopers the other day and it was 49 bpm! I think that is the lowest it's ever been.

Now I am doing laundry, cooking dinner, and, like I said, "working". We have an exciting and busy week coming up with this class. I'm relieved I am more than half-way through! Have a good night :)

No comments: