Monday, April 13, 2009

Rare Species Of Frog May Hold Cure To…Ah, Never Mind, It's Extinct

I am hoping my model will stop running while I write this. It stops every 6 months because if I try to run it much longer, I go over the time limit on the super computer I'm using. So I have to restart it every 6 months, which doesn't take long, but the pain is that it seems to conveniently stop running right after I go to bed. So instead of having my model run while I sleep, which would be a very nice way of working all night in a sense, those 7 or so hours are wasted. Hence me putting off going to sleep just a little bit longer.

I am surprised by how fast time has gone by, especially the last two weeks of this course. Tomorrow is the last real day of class - I'm leading a 'game' where students have to choose what non-carbon energy sources they think we should use in the future and why. The game was modeled after a paper by some guys at Princeton, who said that we can stabilize CO2 at double pre-industrial levels (FYI: pre-industrial = 280 ppm; today = 385 ppm; double CO2 generally increases global temperatures by 1-6 degrees celcius) by choosing 7 existing technologies that will each prevent 1 billion tons of CO2 being emitted each year by 2055. Things like more efficient coal plants, homes, and cars, capturing CO2 from coal plants and burying it somewhere, wind and solar power, soil conservation. As they say, these are not pipe dreams and give some hope that we can move away from a carbon-intensive economy. (more info here: http://www.princeton.edu/~cmi/resources/stabwedge.htm)

Anywho, last weekend went by way too fast. Friday night I was really hungry and could only think about finding dinner, Saturday I went swimming with Christine and then Chris and I did some gardening/yard work and saw Taken, and then Sunday was occupied with the usual Easter festivities - church, lunch with the Divens, and waiting in the ER to deliver leftovers to the Bartholomews who there with Kelty (she's better now). Ok the last one is not too usual, luckily. So it was a good weekend but when I was leaving yesterday afternoon Chris and I felt like we hadn't really had much quality time together. It was just a normal weekend, I guess.

Well the model is still going. But I am tired and incapable of writing anything else interesting here (assuming what I previously wrote was interesting ...). Last night I was up until 1:30! Yuck. So now 11:15 feels very early, woohoo. I will bet a latte that the model will stop within 15 minutes of when I go to bed. Ask me later if you want to collect, but you won't be able to because I know I will be right! Also I couldn't think of a title for this blog so I stole that one from the Onion. This is what happens when I blog while feeling tired/delirious.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about the ubiquitousness of technology in our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory gets less expensive, the possibility of transferring our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could see in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://does-the-r4-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds.onsugar.com/Does-R4i-R4-actually-work-7232282]R4i[/url] DS NetBlog)