Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Doing Stuff

Well I have been psuedo-busy lately. Here are some things we've been doing (I like bullets) ...
- rode my bike 75 miles on Saturday and could have gone farther. Wow my legs felt good! I was with my friend Matt and we went at a good pace which I think kept me from bonking like I usually do on long rides.
- cooked out with friends Sunday evening - it is finally summer-like weather here! We spent a surprising amount of time talking about Chris shaving his legs and/or wearing a speedo.
- The National Science Foundation center I'm a part of is going through its annual review. I think it's a good process and helpful for the center. It makes total sense that we should be accountable to the NSF for how we are spending the money! Monday we had a rehearsal of all of our presentations that lasted from 8:30 till about 8 PM (although I left a little early to go for a run!). Then yesterday was the real deal. It was very exhausting but I'm glad I got to be a part of it this year (I gave a pretty short talk on my research).
- There is a 40-50% chance of thunderstorms in durango and silverton on Saturday. Oh no!!!
- I did my part to empty horsetooth reservoir on Monday night by beginning my annual (doomed to fail) campaign of having a nice yard. On the plus side, we have invested in some lawn care (weed killer and fertilizer applied every 6 weeks), so there might be hope this year. I always feel torn about watering my lawn. On one hand I want it to look nice, on the other hand I feel morally obligated to not use too much water. Also our irises are blooming for the second time since we moved in and they are so beautiful!
- As I said, I ran on Monday night and did half-mile repeats at a 7:30-7:45 pace! It was hard but good!
- I cooked green curry veggie stirfry last night. It was good but way too spicy! I realized this could be a good weight-loss tool - I can only eat so much spicy food.
- I love that I can watch the Giro online. Who needs cable? :)
- Tomorrow I meet with Dave and Scott to hopefully nail down some plans for proceeding with my research and setting a date for my prelim (yikes!). I wish we met today but I am trying to stay busy until then making pretty plots and maps and thinking about what they mean. Oh the life of a scientist.

No comments: