Friday, May 1, 2009

two good recipes and a great cause


About a year ago I started volunteering at the Matthews House, which serves at-risk youth ages 16-21 who lack significant family support in their lives. The idea is to create opportunities for positive life change for these youth as they make the transition to living on their own. Many of these youth have not had the influence of a stable caring adult. It's a pretty neat place. At first I mentored a 19 year old young woman who constantly impressed me by how together she was and how much she had learned from her rough life so far. Now I go there once a week to hang out with and offer support to any kids who come by the house. It's usually pretty quiet when I go, which I liked at first. Then I was there on the Friday of spring break and there were about 6 kids there - it was much more interesting. Some of these kids have had many problems - both self-imposed and not - but it is neat being a part of something that is hopefully turning them into adults who can have a good life.

Anyway, I'm bringing this up because they're doing a fundraiser (called Cultivate Hope) next Thursday at 6:30. There will be food, beverages, and a garden-themed auction (neat things like handmade flower pots), and a bluegrass band. It's $25 and I can vouch for what a great cause this is. For most of the youth, the Matthews House is their last chance to take control of their lives and shape positive futures for themselves. I hope you'll consider going!

Part two of this blog has to do with recipes. I like to cook things while I'm there so any youth coming by can enjoy them. Here are 2 that I've done the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping you might have something delicious and relatively easy to share. I'm only there 1-1/2 hours so it can't take too long to cook!


Blueberry cornbread
(from Womens day magazine - I have no idea why I get this magazine)

Granola (from my friend Kate)
6 cups rolled oats
2 cups coconut flakes
2 cups chopped nuts
2/3 cup wheat germ
2/3 cup bran flakes
1/3 cup sesame seeds or sunflower seeds
½ cup canola or vegetable oil
½ cup maple syrup or honey

Thoroughly mix all of these ingredients. Spread onto lightly greased baking sheets/pans and bake at 325F for 25 minutes stirring the granola at least once during this time. Once out of the oven and cooled for a bit mix in 2 cups of dried fruit of your choosing. Makes enough to fill 2 half gallon mason jars.

No comments: